Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Gili Islands

Well it has been awhile since I have last posted and I have a few extra moments so I thought I might shoot off a quick entry.

At the moment and for the next 6 weeks I will be here in the Gii Islands just off the northwest coast of Lombok, Indonesia. Three Islands make up the Gii's: Gili Air, Gili Meno, and the one I am on Gili Trawangan. I am here to do my Dive Master course!! Exciting!! I have been diving this past year to get here and have finally arrived.

The previous week leading up to today had been a complete gong show. I needed to get a 60 day visa for Indnesia prior to arriving here, as they only give you 30 day non-extendable visas.

My Dive Master program will take atleast 5 weeks to conplete, so I needed the longer visa. To cut the story short, I was supposed to have had a visa sorted out through a travel agency in Bali. The lady I dealt with sorted everything out for me, supposedly. All I had to do was send her a copy of my passport, easy right? Well I did that and she sent my visa to be processed in Jakarta. A few days later she said it was complete! Yay!N'T. She had the visa office in Jakarta send a cable visa to the Indonesian Visa office in Taipei and all I had to do was pick it up. Last Wednesday I got an email saying I had to go up to Taipei to process everything, it takes 3 business days to process, meanwhile I am suppsed to be leaving on Monday!
Ok long story short again...hehe..Visa wasn't there from Jakarta, thank god I had copies of everything I needed which worked out. Got a rush service on the visa for small fee, picked up my visa Monday morning, then went to the airport. Boarded my flight at 6:30pm and arrived in Denpasar, Bali at 11:30pm Monday night, there isn't a time change from here to Taiwan.

Caught a taxi to the boat pier, not listening to anyone that there wasn't a boat leaving until 6am. Got to the pier at around 1:30am, and found out that the ferry to Lombok runs 24 hours a day and there was a boat leaving at 2:30am, perfect. Took the ferry across(3 1/2 hour ride), trying to catch some sleep between the hagglers trying to sell me peanuts all night. Dozed off for 2 hours and woke up arriving on Lombok at Lembar the port on Lombok. Next, caught a taxi up to Sengigi where boats head to the Gili's from there. Got on the 9am boat, tired......and arrived at my new home for the next 5 1/2 weeks, Gili Trawangan!!Phew. Found the dive shop I had contacted about doing the Dive Master program with, and sorted out some accommodation for the next few weeks.

I started my program today offically, and have been busy reading and diving. The people here are fabulous to say the least. A guy from Calgary finished up his DM program at Manta Dive, where I am at yesterday, so I will be the only slave so far for the summer here. I was also able to take in a graduation ceremony for a dive master at another dive shop where the DM does a snorkel test. Basically, the DM sits in a chair, they put mask and snorkel on him/her and attatch a funnel to the sorkel. If you have ever witnessed a "beer bong" that is basically what it is.

Reading, diving, running around the island, meeting new people everyday, soaking up the sun and the beautiful weather while being on the beach is my life for the next little while. It has only been a few days here so far and I am realy loving it here.

I'll try and post some pics soon.
Thats all for now.
See you later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Divey Davey! Jyyyyiieeoooo!

Ang said...

but I bet you miss us terribly, right? .... RIGHT?????

I am glad you are having a great time darlin! Look forward to hearing all about it! Keep us posted!

Lindsay Alderton said...

Hey sugar-tits

Leah's disappeared. Nobody's seen her since you left the country. We're starting to get worried. Her passport's gone. Her knickers too. And all that remains of Kitty is a still smouldering scrap of meat burning away in your microwave. Without you, Leah is clearly unhinged.

I think you should come home.

xx L xx