Monday, May 22, 2006

Days go by......

Herrrro, it's me. Again. What's new. Well quite few things on the go at the moment.

First off, I decided to stay for a wee bit longer, AGAIN!!! Financially speaking, it just wasn't the right move. I mean my plan was to get my Dive Master in July, go home in August and start school in September, in Kamloops. Quite a full plate. Plans just never work out, well for me at least. I'm just not the best planner, money-wise or time-wise, etc.... So well I will be here for a wee bit longer.

Second, is the Dive Master program. I am hoping to head off to the Gili Islands this July. The DM internship program takes at least a month or longer to complete, so I want to head off at the beginning of July, and finish around 5-6 weeks later, so until latest.....mid August. I want to be back for the new school semester here with a new job set in place, more on that later.

I have been in contact with Joe Cooperman, Dive guru of Taiwan Scuba, he lives across the street from me. I 've been inquiring about this DMI for months now, and have kind of been following an outline he gave to me to achieve my goal of completing all the prerequisites for my DMI. So this past weekend I went over to his house for another installment of "Dave asks Joe a million questionsathon" about this final leg of the DMI. He completed his Dive Instructor training on Gili Trawangan at Manta Dive, and has suggested that I do my DMI there as well. He says it is awesome, he knows the people, he has contacts there, so I'm going to trust him as I have nothing else to go on. Plus I have heard from other divers that the Gili's are absolutely amazing.

As a bonus, after completing my DMI, Joe said he would hire me to go on his diving trips he organizes on the weekends. That wouldn't mean getting paid in cash, but going on these trips, guiding and gaining experience, while having all my expenses paid. Deeeecent! I think that t would be a greater asset for me going into the adventure program, with experience as a dive master, rather than just having my certificate saying that I am one with no experience.

Next on my check list is......Oh ya new house.
L and I went and signed our new contract for our new bitchin pad. We have lived in foxhole/cockroach infested shanty long enough. We have been paying a mind boggling 5000NT, ha a mere $175.00 Canadian dollars, per month for rent for the past 2 years for our place. Now we are moving into a 2500 square foot beaut! A little pricey for Taiwan standards, but split between 3 people, it works out to 6000NT each. We move in on the 10th of June, exciting!!

Next, me.
Just me.
I joined a yoga studio here in Taichung a few months back called California Yoga. I had previously attended the yoga classes at the gym I go to, which was fine for awhile, but it grew old, hence the move to CY. I love it. I feel great, and I'm noticing improvements in my flexibility and in strength. It is really amazing what some people can do with their bodies.
Also, I have been running for quite some time now. Now that I wll be staying a little longer, it will give me the opportunity to run in the Taroko Marathon in November. I am planning to run the 1/2 marathon as it will be my first competitive run. A friend of mine here gave me a number for a guy here in Taichung who trains for marathons/triathalons. I am going to call him up and see if I can train with him for the November marathon. I feel that in order for me to be able to successfully complete and compete in the run, I need some guidance from someone who has done this, plus it will add a motivating/competitive factor which has been lacking in my workouts due to my independent training.

Oh and today I met a foreign guy today in yoga that has a golf academy, who runs in the mountains near Taichung on the weekends. I chatted with this him and he offered to allow me to tag along for his mountain runs. He has a car, so could pick me up. Deecent! Just adding alternative training methods.

Finally, work.
I have been working at a school called Sesame Street for the past 2 years. I have been taking it up the hoop from them knowingly, like a deer in headlights. I am finally putting my foot down. Enough is enough. I just cannot continue to make pennies when there are sweet-well paying jobs out there. I mean I love the school, love the kids, I just need a change. I have an interview tomorrow at one the "SWEET" jobs available. I am pretty excited as I definitely need a change in jobs, and more moolah. I have taught at a number of schools, teaching various ages and levels, so I have the experience. We'll see. Crossing fingers, toes.......

On a side note, if any of you out there find my lost money tree, I am looking for it to answer my economic issues. I am putting my name out, making phone calls, trying to get another sub job until I head off, I just need a little more dough to make all my present dreams come true.
Oh and my kitty is sporting his new mohawk! True punk rocker! He loves it.
Cheers.

3 comments:

Ang said...

Come work with me!!!

You are SO going to be a lifer in Taiwan!! MwahahahahahAHA!!

Anonymous said...

planning and follow through come easily to some and not so much for others. it's a discipline in itself, just like yoga...being mindful, paying attention, doing the work.

I'm so glad you are staying for another stretch here in Asia. With our new pad and new jobs, it will be a refreshing change.

Seeing you with passion and dreams (for scuba etc) warms my little heart ;) It seems like Taiwan has been a bit of a grind for you, albeit a chosen grind, but now you seem to have a renewed glow about you. It's hot. lol.

xx

Ang said...

eeewwww leeeaaaaah!!